WEBINAR 4 – 30TH SEPTEMBER 2020 – CREATIVE AND TRANSFORMATIVE APPROACHES TO JUSTICE WORK – SEEKING JUSTICE FOR SURVIVORS OUTSIDE OF THE CRIMINAL LEGAL SYSTEM
You can watch the webinar here.
Thank you with all my heart to everyone who came along to our virtual webinar, and also to those who registered and will watch this discussion at a later date.
As the title of the webinar indicated, all four speakers and myself really asked you all to lean into your creativity and join us as we spoke through more transformative approaches to obtaining justice for survivors – in ways that not only are removed from the system but also actively seek to dismantle it.
As promised I have created a long list of resources that were mentioned and also alluded to – and I hope you find these helpful.
Towards the end of the webinar Kamilah Tomlinson asked us to all take our imaginations seriously to push for a more transformative approach, and I hope these resources and this discussion support you in doing just that.
Transformative Justice Specific resources
- Beyond Survival https://www.akpress.org/beyond-survival.html
- INCITE and Critical Resistance Joint statement https://incite-national.org/incite-critical-resistance-statement/
- Alexis Pauline Gumms
- Reistance is healing, and healing is resistance
- BATJC https://batjc.wordpress.com/
- The Revolution Will Not Be Funded https://www.dukeupress.edu/the-revolution-will-not-be-funded
- Creative Interventions http://www.creative-interventions.org/tools/toolkit/
- Communities Against Rape and Abuse (CARA) – Taking Risks https://www.transformativejustice.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Taking-Risks.-CARA.pdf
- Generation Five – Ending Childhood Sexual Abuse http://www.generationfive.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Transformative-Justice-Handbook.pdf
- Sarah Lamble ‘ Everyday Aboluton https://abolitionistfutures.com/latest-news/practising-everyday-abolition
- Dean Spade and Reina Gossett in Conversation (x4 videos) http://bcrw.barnard.edu/videos/reina-gossett-dean-spade-part-1-prison-abolition-prefiguring-the-world-you-want-to-live-in/
- Building Accountable Communities Project https://bcrw.barnard.edu/building-accountable-communities/
- The Practices We Need – #MeToo and TJ – adrienne maree brown and Autumn Brown in conversation with Mariame Kaba https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/brown-sisters/how-to-survive-the-end-of-the-world/e/57118145
Organisations and Groups to Check Out
- What Really Makes Us Safe https://www.whatreallymakesussafe.com/#/home (and Melanie has asked any folks who are interested to follow their work on Instagram and twitter!)
- API Chaya https://www.apichaya.org/who-we-are
- INCITE https://incite-national.org/
- Chayn https://chayn.co/
- LevelUp https://www.welevelup.org/
- Communities Against Rape and Abuse (CARA) https://www.astraeafoundation.org/stories/communities-against-rape-and-abuse-cara/
- The Northwest Network of Bisexual, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse https://www.nwnetwork.org/
- Cradle Collective https://www.instagram.com/cradlecommunity/
- Generation Five http://www.generationfive.org/
Books and articles
- Aviah Sarah Day, Aisha K Gill, Applying intersectionality to partnerships between women’s organizations and the criminal justice system in relation to domestic violence, The British Journal of Criminology, Volume 60, Issue 4, July 2020, Pages 830–850, https://doi.org/10.1093/bjc/azaa003
- Yara Rodrigues Fowler – Stubborn Archivist https://www.waterstones.com/book/stubborn-archivist/yara-rodrigues-fowler/9780708899052