WEBINAR 1 – 10TH SEPTEMBER 2020 – THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM IS FAILING: ‘RADICAL’ SUGGESTIONS FOR RAPE REFORM
You can watch the webinar here. Due to technical difficulties Dame Vera Baird is re-recording her comments and they will be available here soon.
The slides used by the speakers, with the exception of Jahnine’s, are available here.
During the session, a number of studies and resources were cited. You can find out more about each of them here:
- Rebecca Hitchen referred to the Judicial Review being brought by EVAW and the Centre for Women’s Justice. They have published the documentation and it is a valuable source of evidence on CJS failings, available here and the full dossier of evidence is available here.
- Crowdfunding for the legal challenge is open and you can donate here (as well as getting updates on the case).
- Sumanta Roy unpacked her and Dr Ravi Thiara’s Reclaiming Voice research on minoritised women and girls – you can find this and many more studies here.
- Amelia Handy spoke about barriers to justice for disabled women and girls – Rape Crisis Tyneside & Northumberland are launching their research with Durham University on 23 September 10am-12pm. Sign up here.
- Jahnine Davis spoke about her research with Black women and girls. This will be published shortly, but in the meantime you can find out more about Jahnine’s research here and here.
- Vera Baird highlighted the importance of holding the CPS to account for their poor performance. She has kindly agreed to re-record her comments due to our technological difficulties and we’ll share that alongside the rest of the recording.